Friday, December 30, 2011

The Present is a Present

Jen,

I’m pretty excited what I am learning lately and what is crazy is that we are learning the same things at the same times in different ways. At the “art party” I went to they asked us to write a letter to ourselves titles “What I want most for myself…”  At first I was stumped and really hate questions like that but as I really began to think about it I wrote the following:

The life I want most for myself is that I would love to be present at all times. Present with Jesus, my husband, children, family and friends. I would love to allow Jesus to fill my cup every day with love so that I can truly love others. I’d love to be a part of the amazing stories that change people’s lives. I would love for the Lord to guide my steps and to follow His lead and to not plan to far in advance unless He asks me to. I’d love to raise loving children who bring Glory to God. I’d love to be truly balanced in what I eat, how I active I am, how much time I spend on being creative, serving others and living the every day life.

I thank the Lord for the moments this happens and for reminding me when I am not in those moments.

This week we had lunch with some friends and there was an Advent reading that hit our friend Chuck by Henri Nouwen about being present. How cool is that? I would love to just type you a quote from it but it was so good I want you to read the whole thing.

Henri Nouwen wrote “Jesus came in the fullness of time. He will come again in the fullness of time. Wherever Jesus Christ is, time is brought to its fullness.

We often experience our time as empty. We hope that tomorrow, next week, next month, next year real things will happen to us. But sometimes we experience the fullness of time…when time stands still…when past, present, and future become one…when everything is present where we are…when God, we, and all that is have come together in total unity. That is the experience of God’s time. It is in the fullness of time that we meet God.

I wonder and I am excited to learn what else the Lord will teach us this year about this!

Ann
___________

Ann,

How crazy that the Holy Spirit is bringing this to light in both of us?! I am so excited to see what’s in store for us.

I love your letter and plan on stealing it and using it as my mantra. These thoughts reflect a good portion of what I’ve been taught during Advent and giving up Facebook and other sites–things I didn’t necessarily plan on learning. I’ll share those thoughts soon, but suffice it to say, after just 25 days, I believe I am changed forever. Granted, it’s a 3 degree change when I have 160 degrees to go, but I’m better off than I was 26 days ago.

Wonder where we’ll be with all of these intentions at the end of 2012? Can’t wait to see!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment