Friday, December 9, 2011

A New Sense of Accomplishment

Ann,

You know how great you feel after you’ve cleaned your whole house top-to-bottom, knowing every nook and cranny you’ve ignored for months is now cobweb-free?

OK, well that’s the best way for me to describe the euphoria I feel after 1 week away from some of my “escape vices.” For the season of Advent I’ve decided to stay off Facebook and some other internet sites that tend to put my brain in bad spots.

I’m sure you weren’t surprised when I told you I felt like I was supposed to do this. I comment a lot about having a bad attitude even though I love my life and wouldn’t change a thing. I mean, LOVE my life. I realized that I was sort of living a lie by escaping online, watching how others lived and then unwittingly becoming insecure or discontent about how I was living. Let me give you an example: I feel discouraged because I can’t keep up with duties around the house, and BAM! There’s a Facebook post from a lovely friend who lists her superwoman accomplishments from that morning. Or I feel frustrated because I have the best paint colors picked out for the living room, but can’t find the time to actually paint, and BAM! There’s the most  beautiful, put-together house on Apartment Therapy.

I love pretty things, and even though my life is exactly what I’ve asked for it to be, it’s not really pretty. I mean, it has moments of pretty, but then it gets puked on. And I don’t really mind, puke is surprisingly easy to clean. But there goes the pretty, and “high” I get from it. After a week of not escaping, I can’t believe how much I’m enjoying our little life here, how much more mellow and how in-tune I am to our kiddos.

Well, that’s where I’m at after 1 week. We’ll see if I’m detoxing a little harder in another 7 days.

Jen

________________________

Jen,

I am so excited to see where this leads you and to learn from you during this time. As long as you don’t “fast” from ME its all good!

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment