Friday, April 13, 2012

Parenting Styles

Ann,

It seems that Myers-Briggs has been a theme in our conversations lately. I actually dread the subject since I took so many personality assessments in my past jobs; I knew "what" I was and that was that.

In those days I always fell into the same quadrant. But as we talked about the different personality types I thought it might be useful to take it again, especially since I would be answering from the perspective of a women/wife/mother and not an employee. So I took the test again, and there were certainly some differences. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say I believe it's going to help me understand the kind of parent I'm evolving into.

You are extremely social with your kids. I have regular play-dates and certainly get "out" with the kids, but in general I would be pretty content being home most of the time. Well, this is because I'm an introvert! DUH! I think because I'm not shy I always assumed I'm an extrovert, but of course that's not true.

Here's another revelation: I happened upon this online quiz, where I learned something interesting about a parent who is an S (sensing instead of intuitive). The results said I would take pleasure in the day-to-day activities of my children, but might get stressed about having to be particularly creative with them. This is exactly how I feel! I love the practical and necessary activities--the feeding, bathing, diapering, teaching--but when it comes time to play and maybe even use our imaginations? I'm in trouble. What I appreciated about this quiz is that it asks you the questions based on parenting, so it's easier to formulate answers. (For instance I do love being creative personally, but not with kids. This enabled me to isolate that fact.)

It's fun to learn information that will help us become more aware of our strengths and weaknesses. Of course we need to take it with a grain of salt, but if it helps us to accept how God made us and spurs us on to become a unique parent for our children, then I believe it's a good thing.

Jen

__________________

Jen,

If only you could feed my kids and change their diapers while I create musicals and masterpiece paintings with them! You could stay behind with the kids who need the down time and I'll take the rest out on a field trip.

I know Myers-Briggs is not the end-all-be-all but it has helped me communicate better with my friends, husband and children. I've also been able to be sensitive to my children who are introverts such as my eldest, Catina. Giving her time to be alone and not planning too much activity for one day has really helped her. She loves people but I know they drain her. Whenever we've had big family parties we have either made them short or have given her an "out" to be with less people during the party, which has really helped her. Children don't always know why they are overwhelmed, and if we can figure how they gain their energy we can point them in the right direction. This can serve them for a lifetime.

I'm looking forward to continuing to learn how God has created those around me, most of all our children. It has been fun and helpful to me to realize the similarities in personalities between Everett and Catina, and Levi and June. We can glean from one other what our children may need to help them be the best people they can be.

Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment