Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day

Ann,

Happy Mother's Day!

Remember all those years when this holiday might as well have been called Everyone Who's Fertile (Unlike Me) Day? Oh, how I dreaded going to church on those days. There would always be roses or some kind of token given to the moms, "But please, even if you aren't a mom you are welcome to take one," the pastor would add. Do I take one and then hope everyone heard that disclaimer? I'm not saying I'm a mom because I took one, he said I could! Or do I refuse one, and just stick out like a sore thumb? I don't mean to sound trite, but sometimes you just have to laugh.

After Elisabeth was born and died, that first Mother's Day was a strange mix of pride and anguish. I go straight to tears remembering my friend Erin who sent me the most lovely card that May to recognize my "mom" experience. It's in Elisabeth's baby book and forever etched on my heart.

This Mother's Day, in addition to honoring my amazing mom and mother-in-law, I'm going to make a point to remember the women in my life who I know are waiting on a baby, or who have lost a child. I remember how much those small acts meant to me and I hope to pass along that love.

Jen

_________________

Oh Jen!

This holiday is like Christmas. For some reason whenever it came around I couldn't believe another year had gone by and we weren't celebrating a pregnancy! Thanking Jesus for giving us these gifts of children now.

Lord, comfort those who are waiting to be Moms, who have lost Moms and who have lost a child as we approach this day of recognition. May those around them be sensitive and loving.

Ann

2 comments:

  1. Bawling over here...I remembered how worried I was that I might be doing the wrong thing. Happy Mother's Day to both of you!

    ReplyDelete