Monday, January 16, 2012

Ada’s Birth Story

Jen,

The Tuesday before Ada was born I went in for my weekly check-up with my OB/GYN. She said I was dilated to a 4 and 50% effaced. I walked around for weeks as a 4 with June so I didn’t think much of it. I was happy though because they planned to induce me that following week and if I wasn’t dilated I would have to spend an extra night.

By Thursday I was having contractions and had called my mom in the middle of the night to come over because I wasn’t sure if I’d be leaving for the hospital. My contractions were 10 minutes apart for an hour so I decided to take a shower but as soon as I got out, no more contractions.

I had maybe one an hour that Friday. Catina was really sick. We had taken her to the ER earlier that week and then again to the doctor because her fever was high and she was talking jibberish. I was nervous about having a baby with her not doing well. Friday evening around 5:30 I was wiping Catina’s nose when I felt a pop and a gush. At first I thought it was the baby kicking from a funny position and then I realized that my water most likely broke! I called my Mom and told her we needed to go to the hospital to check it out.

We arrived at the hospital at 6pm. The doctor was called and wouldn’t be there until 7:15, and when he did get there he was headed to perform a c-section. So we waited. They didn’t want to check how far I was dilated because it could mess with the test that determines whether or not your water broke. And at this point my contractions were far apart so everything was in limbo until the doctor came in.

Greg and I like to have a birth song for our baby. The Lord gave us one while in labor with Catina and we asked the Lord for one for our other two girls. Ada’s song is called “Beautiful.” Greg played this song while we waited.



A little before 8pm the doctor came in to check me and said I was dilated to a 6 or 7 but the baby was still far away and that I was in early labor. He asked if I wanted an epidural, which I for sure wanted. But right then I knew I’d never get that dang epidural. It had to be ordered and blah, blah, blah and you can’t actually start the epidural until you have a bag of fluid in you, and it always takes a lot of poking to get an IV in me. Four digging-in-the-skin tries later. they got an IV in me. At this point my contractions were super close.

The pain was so intense that my whole body would feel extreme heat and I had to empty my stomach of its contents. Greg was awesome though. He stood there with the garbage can when I needed it and then washed and changed me into a new nightgown. The entire time he just put cold cloths on me. I was hooked to a monitor so he could see when my contractions were highest. I asked him to tell me when it looked like they were going down. Somehow that brought me comfort. Later he told me they never really went down and that they were always pretty bad. A few times I let my mind wander and wanted to start crying but I knew if I lost my concentration it would all go downhill from there so I just labored with my eyes closed.

All of a sudden I felt a pain that was beyond what I had felt before and I told Greg to push the button for the nurse when it was done. He pushed it while putting cold cloths on me and that is when my nurse, Sharon, happened to walk in to check on us. Sharon was super laidback and when she came in her face had the funniest shocked look on it. Every time Greg and I think about her face we laugh. She immediately started yelling for the doctor and for the nurses to get the room ready. I knew Ada’s head was coming out.

The doctor came in and I kept saying over and over “What do you want me to do? I don’t know what to do.” He told me to breathe. I remember thinking to myself that I’d like a little more instruction than that. I was extremely afraid I would sit on Ada’s head and couldn’t believe they weren’t doing something about it.

Once the doctor was ready he told me to push. In less than two pushes she was out. They laid her on my chest and my whole body went into convulsions from the “trauma” of giving birth.


She was finally here!

Ann
________

Ann,

I am speechless. I cannot believe you endured this and I am so thankful you have such a great husband who takes care of you.

Wow.
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment