Monday, October 22, 2012

How To Tell Your Children About Down Syndrome

Jen,

Recently,a friend asked me how to explain to their child what is Down syndrome. I told her I wasn't exactly sure how to explain it because it's hard for me to wrap my brain around it! It's hard to explain a syndrome that used to limit people and now because of Early Intervention and Medication Intervention people are living two to three times longer than they did before, AND are capable of doing so much more than they ever could before. It's hard to explain a syndrome that talks about an extra chromosome. Um, yeah, like I really get what I chromosome is!

I've recently seen two videos I thought would be good to share. This one you can share with your kids.



I love this next video because it shows great diversity. This you can share with your kids, too. Don't worry there's nothing risky about it! They just might think it's a bit boring.



Our family is constantly learning new things about Down syndrome. For Catina and June, Down syndrome will not be unusual to them. I also believe that children are being taught younger and younger about acceptance of all types of people. It's our job as a parent to show acceptance when we encounter someone who is different than ourselves, and to ask questions and or find out more information to help our kids have a better understanding of those around them. This can help them know how to relate in a positive way.

As our lives progress I'm sure we will learn more about Down syndrome and better ways to explain to others what it means. When we do, I'll be sure to share!

Ann

P.S. To our friends who are "listening" in. This week we have received three requests from women who are waiting for their future children. Please remember to keep those who are trying to get pregnant or waiting for a child in your prayers. It's much appreciated!
______

Ann,

Thanks for the videos!

I wonder if I know how your friend feels about telling her child about Down syndrome. My boys are obsessed with Ada and think (or hope!) every baby they see is her. I know a day will come when I'll need to explain what's different about her, and I feel like in that moment I have the chance to really set a standard for the way they accept others for the rest of their lives and I want to do it right. At the same time, I realize "that moment" has really already happened! I just have to keep those lines of communication open like you're saying.

And many prayers for our friends who are waiting. My heart aches for them and their journey.

Jen





No comments:

Post a Comment