Monday, June 4, 2012

Week One

Jen,

As I sit her I am eating a Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut butter cup and feeling frumpy. I have gained 8lbs since Ada has been born and I feel out of control! I can blame this on hormones, lack of sleep, new baby, etc. but I know I need to get things back under control so I can feel better about myself.

This past week I invited some moms to join in a project with me and I was jealous of how many of them were saying "no." It wasn't the fact that they were saying "no" and I couldn't, it was because they knew their limit. I'm not sure I know mine. I know I have a high capacity but there still has to be a limit to what I should be doing and I'd love to find out what that is for this time in my life.

Awhile back I read this hefty book called "The Spirit of the Disciplines" by Dallas Willard. In this book he explains two different kinds of disciplines; abstinence and engagement. I've decided to take the next twelve weeks to practice these disciplines and pray that the Lord gives me insight on how I should be spending my time.

I've created an eating plan that will help me to abstain from eating food beyond the calories I should be eating. Every night I am pretty tired from tending to the home and three girls all day, so I have been watching t.v. in the evening. I plan to limit this time to either watching just one show or none at all.

In the spirit of engagement, I hope to exercise three times a week. I also plan to read the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst again. It's this great book about craving Jesus over food but really just to crave Jesus above all things. I have been reading a gospel a month with some friends and I hope to complete the book rather than get two thirds of the way through like I usually do.

Please pray for me as I embark on this process. I'd love to take this time to really seek His face and hear from Him.

Ann
______________

Ann,

This is so great. I've been praying for awile about the "limit" issue, at your request. I'm trusting the Holy Spirit to reveal it to you!

I believe this is just another layer of being present in our lives. I could go on and on about how I can relate, but suffice it to say I am excited by this and hope we can encourage each other!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment